Security funding: Pork vs. programmatic policy?

Does it make sense that Wyoming, rated as “low risk” for terrorist attack, should get almost twice the funding for preparadness programs, on a per capita basis, as New York? The independent commission that investigated the 9/11 attacks recommended more than a year ago that all homeland-security money be allocated based on objective criteria–the risk of attack.

This issue is being debated in Congress now–in a House-Senate conference committee, and it is an excellent example of the different interests of the two chambers of the US Congress.

This is a fascinating case, because both chambers are controlled by the same party. Yet the legislative preferences on this matter break down in a completely predictable way, based on the constituencies of the chambers.

The Senate passed a bill that would share about 75% of all homeland security funds equally between the 50 states, with the other 25% allocated according to a state’s actual assessed risk of terrorism.

The House, on the other hand, passed in July an amendment to the Patriot Act that would do almost the exact opposite. Under the House plan, 25% would be allocated equally between the states, and even to get that share, a state would have to prove why the money was needed. Most of the funds would be based on assessment of risk.

(The assessment of risk would be based on calculating potential insured losses.)

Representative Nita Lowrey (Democrat, New York), the author of the amendment to the bill that the House passed, says:

The current formula is distributed as pork barrel, the same amount to everybody, no matter what, and it doesn’t make sense. New Yorkers are not very pleased about being No. 1, but if we are No. 1 in the risk/threat/vulnerability category, we clearly should get the resources so that we can be prepared.

Senator Craig Thomas (Republican, Wyoming) counters that his state has a lot of energy production “that involves a substantial Homeland Security risk.”

Lowrey notes that is a valid argument, and points out that the amended House bill would allow Wyoming to make that case and receive the funds if they are indeed merited.

Good case in programmatic vs. particularistic policy-making, and in House vs. Senate constituencies!

(The above information comes from an article by Alexandra Marks in the Christian Science Monitor on October 24.)

0 thoughts on “Security funding: Pork vs. programmatic policy?

  1. Pingback: Fruits and Votes

  2. Perhaps the resulting questions lies in the design of the bureacracy that would adjudicate the petitions submitted by the states/localities. By only looking at insured losses the government is placing an inferior value on human life versus infrastructure. I would be willing to wager that most American voters would rather have the money spent protecting 1,000 citizens over a coal power plant in central Wyoming, unless of course those voters were from central Wyoming.

  3. Pingback: Fruits and Votes

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.